Sunday, September 15, 2013

Taming of the Slough - Wet Oily Gravel

Miles for the month: 223
Miles since last post: 111

Well...last weekend I spent the weekend camping with my wife.  We had a blast camping and doing some geocaching, I highly recommend looking into this, great exercise and fun for all.

Only 111 miles in the last 10 days, I need to work on getting that up.  Anyway, this past weekend I was part of a 3 man team doing the Taming of the Slough.  We had a female kayak-er, I rode the mnt bike phase and an Army buddy Todd did the run.  We did VERY well, we had the fastest co-ed team, clocked in around  1:46:32 if I recall.  It was a lot of fun and look forward to next yrs.

                                                      Team name : "2 GI Joes and a Jane"

                                                                Bike to Run transition

Today I had marked my calender to do 70-100 miles on gravel....until the rain hit.  We haven't had rain in 42 days so it was very much needed but it sorta hijacked by ride.  I know some TransIowa time I'm gonna have to deal with bad weather but today the sky fell.  I left the house around 1300 and by 1330 it was pouring, Forest Gump pouring.  It looked like the rain was coming up rather than down.  I ended up only doing 30 miles today.  Once the rain started I checked the weather radar and there was no end in sight so I called it.


                                                          Just before the sky opened

Learned a few things today from my wet gravel ride.

1. Take warm clothing.  It was only 60 degrees when I left but I went ahead and took with me a lite long sleeve under armor shirt.  Glad I did, it got cold pretty quick after I got a lil wet.

2.  Rain jacket.  Take it, it did help significantly after the wind picked up.  I did sweat more with it on but it kept the wind from chilling me to bad.

3.  Wet gravel is SLOW gravel.  The hard packed lanes where cars usually drive became mini-rivers.  So it was either constantly ride in water or ride in the loose stuff.  

4.  Oil slicks.  On Iowa gravel roads residents will drop used oil on the road in front of their homes to keep the dust down.  Well, when it rains all the oil comes to the surface which makes for an oily mess.  There is no avoiding it.  It stinks and as you would guess, doesn't taste very good being slinged up on your face from the bike tires.

Well...that will do it for now.  Next week I'm doing my first overnight cyclo tour.  Were riding 65 miles down the Mississippi River Trail, camp over night and then ride back.  I plan to pack down my Fatbike and enjoy the ride.  We'll be moving slow but it should give me a good idea of taking my fatbike on a long ride.


                                                                        My Fatbike.

No comments:

Post a Comment